Learn how to create a beautiful, handmade, relaxing lavender eye pillow in 10 easy steps in Part 2 of our Gifts From the Garden series. Give it to someone who could use a bit more calm in her life and then make another one for yourself!
The act of making gifts is rewarding, but this one is especially so. What is better than a little aromatherapy during the hectic holiday season? It’s not just folklore! Although people have been using lavender to relax for forever, research shows that the smell of lavender produces a calming, soothing, sedative effect. Scientific evidence from the University of Maryland Medical Center suggests that aromatherapy with lavender may slow the activity of the nervous system, improve sleep quality, promote relaxation, and lift mood in people suffering from sleep disorders. *
These lavender pillows make great gifts for adults, but also could be a special gift for a child that has trouble sleeping or even for a new baby. (Just remember no buttons for children under three due to choking hazards).
Here’s what you will need:
- Access to a sewing machine (if possible; otherwise hand-sew using the smallest stitches possible to keep the filling within the pillow)
- Fabric of your choice for eye pillow and for the embroidered design (the most environmentally friendly choice is to upcycle fabric, using unneeded clothing, pillowcase, etc.)
- Embroidery thread and needle
- Essential oil of lavender (you could also add other oils such as, tea tree, eucalyptus, sweet orange, rose – whatever you like!)
- Dried lavender blossoms (again, you could also add other flower petals, such as rose or calendula). I recommend always using organic when possible.
Make a lovely eye pillow in 10 easy steps:
Now is the time to get creative! Using upcycled (scrap) fabric and buttons, make a design on the front side of your eye pillow.
Match the sides together, putting the wrong sides on the outside (allowing for the right sides to be on outside when finished). Sew three sides with sewing machine, leaving one side open to fill with the lavender and rice.
Now pull it inside out, so the right fabric is now on the outside. Whew! Halfway finished! Now we can create our lovely lavender rice mixture to fill the eye pillow. Aromatherapy time!
I use plain white rice, adding about 30 drops of lavender essential oil and a handful of lavender petals dried from my garden*. Stir it up and voila! Ready to stuff our pillow.
Now fold the ends inside just a bit and pin. This makes sewing up the last edge super easy.
Ta Da! Look at that lovely handmade gift (or are you keeping it for yourself?).
*Where to buy supplies: